Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office
The Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPRO) is responsible for oversight of the Department's sexual assault policy. SAPRO works hand-in-hand with the Services and the civilian community to develop and implement innovative prevention and response programs.
- Important Announcements -
- Response Systems Panel - Initial Assessment: The Response Systems to Adult Sexual Assault Crimes Panel is currently conducting an independent review and assessment of the systems used to investigate, prosecute, and adjudicate crimes involving adult sexual assault and related offenses in the military. They issued an Initial Assessment on the Role of the Commander on Nov 6, 2013. Read the report here.
- Response Systems Panel Briefing: DoD developed an initial set of metrics to assess the effectiveness of our SAPR programs in prevention, investigation, accountability, and victim assistance. SAPRO Director Maj Gen Gary Patton presented these metrics at a public meeting of the Response Systems Panel. You can access the briefing here.
- Response Systems Panel Briefing - Victim Assistance: DoD SAPRO Victim Assistance Senior Advisor, Bette Stebbins Inch, presented a briefing at a public meeting of the Response Systems Panel on Nov 7, 2013. She addressed the policy and programs in place to assist victims of sexual assault in the military. Find the briefing here.
- SAPR designated as Chairman's #1 High Interest Training Issue for the Joint Force in the October 2013 Chairman's Joint Training Guidance. Read it here.
- Effective 1 Oct 2013, all DoD SARCs and SAPR VAs are professionally certified. Certified SARCs also have access to DSAID, a case management tool to ensure a comprehensive response for victims of sexual assault. Learn more here. To apply for D-SAACP certification in FY14, click here.
- The SAPR Source is back! Find the new edition here.
- DoD SAPRO Director, Maj Gen Gary S. Patton presented a speech entitled “Combatting Sexual Assault in the Military” at the 39th National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) Conference in Columbus, OH on 16 Sept 2013. Click here for full speech text.
- Secretary Hagel announces SAPR Initiatives on 14 August 2013. Click here for the Directive Memo.
- DoD Inspector General (IG) Guidance requires all Military Criminal Investigative Organizations (MCIOs) to investigate all cases of sexual assault brought to their attention, regardless of the severity of the allegation. See DoD Instruction 5505.18 for details.
- The new Safe HelpRoom offers a secure, moderated online peer-to-peer group chat service for military survivors of sexual assault. Find more information here.
- Have you downloaded the Safe Helpline Mobile App yet? Get the free app for your device from the Apple app store and Android app store.